Offered in affiliation with
the Surety Association of Canada, the Associateship in Canadian Surety Bonding
Certificate examines surety bonds and the suretyship process and was designed
as a learning vehicle for students who plan on embarking on a career in the
surety industry. The program aims to provide students with a theoretical and
in-depth practical understanding of suretyship.
The Associateship in Canadian
Surety Bonding Certificate is designed to provide students with an extensive learning experience related to surety bonds (commercial and contract), the suretyship process, trends that may affect the surety industry, as well as the basic principles of contract law as they apply to construction.
What you'll learn
By the end of this program, you should be able to:
- Gain an understanding about the surety industry, including past trends and current state;
- Use the knowledge that you have obtained pertaining to the different types of surety bonds and their proper use;
- Explain the process of surety underwriting and how it differs from insurance underwriting;
- Use your learning of standard construction procedures (i.e. tenders, claims, etc.) and utilize your learnings when analyzing contract documents; and
- Gain an understanding of common law practices with regards to legal disputes.
Courses will use a
combination of experiential learning activities (i.e. presentations, case
studies, facilitated group discussions, group work) and traditional teaching
methods to cover the fundamental concepts in surety bonding. Emerging trends, theories, practices and core
competencies will be discussed to aid in the learning process and ensure that
course content is current and relevant.