What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the art and practice of being in the "here and now" in this present moment. The way we live prohibits many of us from simply just being. The pulls of the past and the pressures of the future lead our minds further away from the present. With the growth of technology, the fast paced motions of our daily lives we are more disconnected than ever from what is truly happening with the depths of our selves.
Why Is Mindfulness Important?
This lack of present awareness is negatively impacting our mental, physical and emotional wellbeing. The impact extends far beyond the individual person and into the larger communities and societies as well. Mindfulness is important to practice not only for your own wellbeing, but for the wellbeing of society as well.
How Can Mindfulness Help Me?
The ability to be fully present and aware in the moment - to be mindful - has a host of benefits that have now been scientifically proven with evidence based research. Some examples of benefits are:
- Decreased stress
- Decreased anxiety and depressive symptoms
- Improved sleep
- Improved cardiac functioning
- Improved gastrointestinal health
- Improved creativity
- Enhanced athletic ability
- Increased work productivity and performance
- Overall increased life satisfaction
- Foster empathy and compassion that has wide reaching potential across the world
Program Features and Benefits
This program will provide a comprehensive overview of the history and origins of mindfulness, foundational philosophies of mindfulness and the proven scientific benefits of mindful practice. Each course will explore modern and clinical applications of this ancient practice, exploring the current societal shift into living more mindfully and how we can apply all of these learnings into our personal and professional lives.
This program is offered in partnership with Hoame, North America's largest modern meditation studio based in Toronto, Ontario. Our program has been developed and is taught by professionals in the field of meditation and mindfulness.
By taking this program, you will receive an invitation to a one-day retreat at Hoame, a student discount to their services, an invitation to their private Facebook group and their newsletter.
There are two Certificate of Completion streams to choose from:
- Earn the Fundamentals of Mindfulness, Certificate of Completion by taking any three of the five courses.
- Earn the Advanced Principles and Practice of Mindfulness, Certificate of Completion by taking all 5 courses.
By taking the Mindfulness in Modern Society, you'll gain a Certificate of Completion and be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding
of the origins and history of mindfulness
- Identify key foundational themes of mindfulness
- Describe the historical evolution of mindfulness
- Articulate the neuroscientific benefits of mindfulness, and the corresponding systems in the brain
- Explore different types of meditation, their benefits and applications
- Explain the physiological effects of mindfulness throughout the human body
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the predominant therapeutic models of mindfulness
- Apply various modern applications of mindfulness to the professional and clinical world
- Practice mindful applications in one's day to day life, including mindful self-reflection