Formats (Online / In-Person)
The Marketing Diploma offers courses in two different learning formats.
It is important that you consider the learning format and its suitability for you
in order to ensure that you have a successful learning experience.
- Courses meet one time per week for three hours and run for 13 weeks, depending on the course.
- Class size ranges from 12 to 50 students.
- You should expect to allocate at least three hours per week for reading, study and assignments, in addition to class time.
- Courses are held at the McMaster University Downtown Centre, One James North, Hamilton , unless otherwise indicated.
- You should attend all classes as the classroom work represents a significant part of the learning experience.
Considerations for Taking an In-Person Class
- Your schedule allows you to attend class at the same time each week.
- You prefer interacting with your peers and feeling part of a classroom environment.
- You prefer weekly feedback from an instructor.
- You occasionally need reminders and reinforcements to get your studying done.
- You prefer the instructor explain the readings and the assignments.
- Teaching methods include weekly readings, facilitated discussion boards, videos, narrated PowerPoint slides, group and individual projects, assignments. You will be interacting with your classmates and your instructor each week.
- You should expect to allocate approximately six to eight hours per week to complete your work but you don't need to log on at a specific time.
- A pre-course email with information on the course, course materials, etc. will be sent approximately 10 days before the course start date. Courses are made live in Avenue to Learn (the course management system) 3 days prior to the course start date.
Considerations for Taking an Online Class
- You are good at keeping yourself on task to complete a project.
- You are comfortable asking for clarification when needed and expressing yourself in written form through email or a discussion board.
- You are able to read the textbook (and the assignments) on your own and understand the concepts.
- You are able to work independently.
- You have a quiet place to complete your work.
- You are comfortable using technology.