Program pre-requisites and admissions criteria
In compliance with the Certificates and Diploma admission policy from the Undergraduate Council, students who wish to enter the program should meet the following requirements based on their education and work experience:
- Potential students MUST have completed the following courses
prior to applying to the Health Information Fundamentals Certificate program. If the above courses have been completed at another institution, please provide proof of equivalency.
- HTH 100: Understanding the Canadian Healthcare System OR work experience in Canadian Healthcare
- HTH 200: Medical Terminology
- HTH 300: Anatomy & Physiology
- HTH 116 and 117 (Pathophysiology 1 and 2)
- Be a mature student as defined in the Undergraduate Calendar of McMaster University; or be deemed an exceptional case by the Centre for Continuing Education
- English Language Proficiency requirements: Completion of TOEFL exam with minimum acceptable score of IBT: 86 overall with a minimum score of 20 on each of the four components (Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening), valid for 2 years
- The completion of a degree at a recognized university (in any discipline) OR be currently working towards the completion of an undergraduate degree
The application process is a multi-step process. You must apply, receive your acceptance and then you can enrol in courses.
You will need the following items:
- Official Transcripts to support the academic requirements listed above
- Current resume (Word or PDF format)
- 1-2-page Statement of Intent outlining your background, reason for interest in the program and future goals
- Credit/debit card to submit the $59 non-refundable application fee
Please note, your application will not be reviewed until all required documentation is received. Applicants will be notified directly if additional information or documentation is required. You will be advised through email of your admittance to the program within two weeks of receiving a complete application package.
For a Winter 2022 start:
- Applications open July 16, 2021
- Applications close December 1, 2021