Transfer Credit from other institutions or McMaster faculties
You may be eligible to receive transfer of credit from previous post-secondary studies and receive advanced standing in the CCE program that you are pursuing.
- You may transfer up to four courses (12 units) into the Professional Addiction Studies Diploma program.
- Please note that the Professional Addiction Studies Certificate program does not accept transfers.
The following general conditions apply:
- courses must have an 80% overlap in content/curricula and a similar number of classroom or contact hours;
- courses must have been taken within the last five years;
- courses must have been taken from an accredited academic institution and listed on an official transcript with a grade;
- you must obtain a “C-“ or better to be eligible;
- you may only apply external transfer of credit to one Certificate or Diploma program;
- advanced standing will not be granted until you register in a program;
- transfer credits approved but not paid for within one (1) year of approval may be rescinded; and,
- you will be charged a fee of $99 per course.
In order to assess your transfer of credit request, please submit the following documents:
- name and course number of the external course(s) that you wish to be assessed for transfer of credit and the name and course number of the CCE course(s) that you would like credit for;
- an official transcript, demonstrating your completion of the course(s) and your final grade(s);
- if requested, full course outline(s) (i.e. course description, course objectives, assessment criteria, textbook, weekly content covered);
- transfer of credit requests can be submitted electronically to email@example.com or by hard copy.
It may take 4-6 weeks to assess your transfer of credit request.
For full details on the eligible transfers, please contact the Professional Addiction Studies program directly.
Please mail to:
Centre for Continuing Education
OJN, 3rd Floor, Room 338
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Attention: Professional Addiction Studies Program
For students wishing to transfer credits from the Addiction Studies Certificate or Addiction Careworker Diploma, please refer to the Transfer Credit Arrangement Chart.
The typical fee for transferring credit is $99 per course, however, students in the current programs will not be charged this fee to transfer their credits to the new program.
There is still a $59 fee to apply to the Professional Addiction Studies program when transferring credits from the Addiction Studies Certificate or Addication Careworker Diploma programs.
Certificate to a Diploma (within the same McMaster Continuing Education program)
Unless specified otherwise within the program, students who have completed a certificate and wish to continue and work toward a diploma within the same program, may apply all of the eligible certificate courses to the diploma. Students will be charged a one-time transfer fee of $79.
Students will also need to formally apply to the Diploma program online, which will require a $59 application fee.
As per McMaster University Senate policy (May 2017), a course can be used no more than two times towards a McMaster University credential. At McMaster, the term credential refers to a certificate, a certificate of completion, a diploma, a MyOWNMcMaster milestone, and an undergraduate degree.
If you require more information, please be sure to contact us.
Future Degree Studies
Students who successfully graduate from the Professional Addiction Studies program, and who wish to pursue degree studies at McMaster University, may be eligible to receive undergraduate academic credit, as determined by the Faculty into which they are applying.
Eligible credit is as follows:
- Professional Addiction Studies Certificate: up to 15 units of undergraduate credit.
- Professional Addiction Studies Diploma: up to 30 units of undergraduate credit.